Operating ethically and sustainably
We are committed to operating ethically and sustainably and to finding ways to reduce our CO2 emissions. We promote recycling throughout the business and try to reduce energy consumption.
It is the company’s aim to:
- increasingly minimise our environmental impact and reduce our CO2 emissions.
- minimise energy consumption and maximise efficiency.
- promote efficient purchasing to minimise waste and allow for material-recycling.
- adopt efficient waste-management strategies and stop waste from being sent to landfill.
- minimise any emissions or effluents which may cause environmental damage.
Reducing energy consumption
Our target is to reduce annual electricity, gas and water consumption through a combination of operational initiatives and the introduction of energy-efficient technology. This approach will also reduce CO2 emissions.
The company has an energy and environment group, chaired by two board directors. Each pub has an energy champion. These champions are responsible for reducing consumption at their pub and communicating top tips and initiatives to staff.
Several pieces of energy-saving technology are now installed as standard in any new pubs and, over the next few years, will be retro-fitted in current pubs across the estate.
The company consistently trials new ideas and energy-saving technology to reduce consumption and CO2 emissions.
Use of renewable energy
With effect from October 2022, all electricity supplied to pubs in the UK and head office will have been generated from 100% renewable sources.
Climate change policy
The company will set science-based targets and agree on an action plan and realistic timescale to remove greenhouse gas emissions, where possible, from its operations and supply chain.
Any residual emissions will be offset by investment in high-quality carbon credits.
Pollution and waste
As a business, we aim to minimise waste and maximise recycling. Our target is to recycle 95% of recyclable waste.
No waste is sent to landfill.
The company does not create any toxic emissions or waste.
We use specialised contractors to safely dispose of electronic waste items.
Several initiatives have been implemented to reduce this, along with reducing preparation/plate waste.
All pubs segregate food waste – which is collected and sent for anaerobic digestion.
Any unwanted, yet fit-for-consumption, food is donated to our charity partner FareShare, which distributes it to food banks, community centres and others in need.
In 2018, we were awarded the ‘Waste no Food’ award from the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) for our continued efforts in this area.
The company has set the following targets by 2025:
- 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable
- 70% of plastic packaging to be effectively recycled or composted
- 30% average recycled content across plastic packaging
- action, through redesign, innovation or alternative (reuse) delivery models, to eliminate problematic or unnecessary single-use plastic items
The company is taking the following steps to reduce consumption of single-use plastics:
- Plastic straws – these were removed in December 2017 and replaced with 100% biodegradable and 100% recyclable paper straws and wrappers. Customers can self-select a straw, if required, rather than automatically being given one each time.
- Plastic water bottles – complimentary water fountains are available in all pubs. Alternatives to the current single-use plastic bottles are being reviewed.
- Plastic packaging – we are working with our major suppliers and with the support of WRAP and the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) to reduce and, where possible, remove the use of plastic packaging for food. Plastic containers used in the kitchen are now reusable – and cling film use has ceased.
- Plastic milk cartons – these are segregated and recycled separately. We are working with our dairy supplier to replace plastic milk cartons with bag-in-a-box milk, so using less plastic packaging.
- Disposable coffee cups – the majority of hot drinks sold within pubs is consumed on the premises, including unlimited complimentary refills, all served in a China mug!
Search for jobs
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.