Bar team leader
Reporting to: Management team/pub manager
Your role: at a glance
Leading the team to make hungry and thirsty customers happy!
- To provide excellent customer service.
- To serve food and drinks to the correct specification.
- To adhere to all Wetherspoon standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace.
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Have completed the Wetherspoon team leader training programme.
- Be able to prioritise tasks and have good organisational skills to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your colleagues, your pub and Wetherspoon.
- Have exceptional time management skills.
- Have a strong work ethic and be self-motivated.
- Have a friendly nature and excellent communications skills.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Remain calm, when working in a high-pressure environment.
- Adhere to and enforce Wetherspoon’s appearance standards.
- Receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life
To oversee and guide the operations front of house: leading by example, demonstrating how to complete tasks, motivating and coaching all associates to achieve the following:
- Work as a team throughout the business to achieve the company’s mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable.’
- Deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA).
- Always be, and encourage others to be, welcoming to your customers – interact, say ‘hello’; just as important, say ‘thank you’ and ‘goodbye’.
- Build, maintain and enhance customer relations (eg by recommending some of our products) to enrich their experiences during visits. Encourage customer loyalty by consistent good performance.
- Be aware of, and knowledgeable about, all promotions, events and new products in your pub. Share your knowledge with the team to ensure that all associates are kept up to date.
- Adopt our stand-back-and-look (SBAL) approach to ensure that the bar, floor, glasswash and customer areas are set up throughout the day to meet the needs of the business.
- Co-ordinate the team to receive and deliver customer orders, either face to face or via the Wetherspoon app, achieving our service standards at all times.
- Respond to any customer feedback in a positive and helpful manner, seeking support, if required. Feed back all complaints to the management team.
- Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting our Clean As You Go (CAYG) philosophy (including, but not limited to, staff areas, external areas, toilets, bar and glasswash/customer areas).
- Assist in achieving positive stock results by coaching the team, minimising wastage and monitoring the correct pouring and dispensing of products.
- Assist in receiving deliveries in line with Wetherspoon’s policies, always reporting any anomalies to the manager.
- Carry out any reasonable task as requested by the management team or Wethercentre, to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development
- Complete the team leader training programme, including ongoing associated online training, within the stated time frames.
- Attend and actively participate in regular team meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share amazing ideas for improvements in your pub and across the company.
- Work as a buddy to support and train new associates.
- Embrace change in your pub and Wetherspoon.
- Strive to achieve everything you can on the Wetherspoon action plan.
As a team leader, you are not expected to supervise the team in the absence of a manager or perform any management tasks; however, if you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge which you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your pub manager about the opportunities available to you; these may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- Cross-training into a different role (hotel/kitchen)
- Catering academy
- Shift leader academy
- Management academy
- People management academy
- Pub manager academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.