Hotel night shift leader
Reporting to: Hotel manager/management team
Your role: at a glance
To deliver friendly efficient customer service and to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests, with the key aim of retaining guests and attracting new ones. To ensure the safety and security of all of our hotel guests.
- To provide excellent customer service.
- Welcome guests to the hotel and fulfil any reasonable requests to ensure their satisfaction.
- To adhere to all Wetherspoon standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace.
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities.
- Know how and when to delegate tasks and how to feed back, positively, to the person completing the task (identifying any areas for improvement, if necessary).
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your colleagues, your hotel, your pub and to Wetherspoon.
- Have exceptional time management skills to be able to prioritise tasks and good organisational skills to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Have a strong work ethic and be self-motivated. Be able to work unsupervised in a busy environment.
- Have a friendly nature and excellent communications skills.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Remain calm, when working in a high-pressure environment.
- Adhere to and enforce Wetherspoon’s appearance standards.
- Receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life
Motivate and support the team to achieve the company’s mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable.’
- Deliver and manage the team to deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA). Proactively manage results which fall below expectations.
- Ensure that opening and closing procedures are adhered to, in line with company policy. Adopt our stand-back-and-look (SBAL) approach to ensure that all areas are set up, throughout the day, to meet the needs of the business. Ensure that all POS meets the current guidelines.
- Maintain high levels of welcome, interaction and guest management on every shift, with the key aim of retaining guests and attracting new ones. Manage check-ins, check-outs and aftercare.
- Respond to any guest feedback in a positive and helpful manner, seeking support, if required. Feed back all guest complaints to the management team, identifying/actioning any training needs.
- Be aware of, and knowledgeable about, all promotions, events and new products in your hotel. Take proactive steps to build sales and improve occupancy, forming links with local hotels, tourist information centres and local businesses. Research key events and competitors.
- Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting our Clean As You Go (CAYG) philosophy for all areas. Ensure, throughout the shift, that the lobby, reception and hotel entrance are cleaned and maintained.
- Conduct regular security checks, including fire safety checks, throughout your shift, reporting any issues to your line manager.
- Be responsible for evacuation, in case of emergency, liaising with the team, guests and the emergency services.
- Maintain office administration in line with company policies and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), including full, correct and proper use of all duty manager’s log books, guest and employee contact details, CCTV, keys, safe, delivery-note entries, storage of paperwork, blue-bag requirements and all other logs.
- Manage and maintain the administration of all reservations, cancellations and no-shows, in line with company policy.
- Assist in achieving all financial targets set for the hotel by taking proactive steps to build sales and control costs (eg daily hours allowance in line with sales).
- Be accountable for all relevant product-ordering, delivery and stock management of hotel items, including setting stock levels, checking, counting, storage, reconciliation and loss investigation.
- Create a people-focused culture in your hotel and assist in achieving all targets set out in the people audit. Help to support a strong succession plan in the hotel.
- Monitor and manage all maintenance issues and contractors, while on site.
- Carry out any reasonable task as requested by the management team or Wethercentre, to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development
- Complete the hotel night shift leader training programme, including ongoing associated online training, within the stated time frames.
- Attend and actively participate in regular team meetings, manager meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share amazing ideas for improvements in your hotel and across the company.
- Work as a buddy to support and train associates, team leaders and shift leaders.
- Embrace change within your hotel and across Wetherspoon.
- Strive to achieve everything you can on the Wetherspoon action plan.
As a night shift leader, you are not expected to take on any tasks which you haven’t completed as part of your training.
If you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge which you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your manager about the opportunities available to you; these may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- Cross-training into a different role (bar/kitchen)
- Catering academy
- People management academy
- Pub manager academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Search for jobs
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.