Hotel team leader
Reporting to: Hotel manager/management team
Your role: at a glance
To deliver friendly efficient customer service and to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests. To supervise, train and motivate others, with the key aim of retaining guests and attracting new ones.
- To provide excellent customer service.
- Welcome guests to the hotel and fulfil any reasonable requests to ensure their satisfaction, comfort and safety.
- To adhere to all Wetherspoon standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace.
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Have completed the Wetherspoon team leader training programme.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities.
- Know how and when to delegate tasks and how to feed back, positively, to the person completing the task (identifying any areas for improvement, if necessary).
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your colleagues, your hotel and to Wetherspoon.
- Have exceptional time management skills to be able to prioritise tasks and good organisational skills to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Have a strong work ethic and be self-motivated. Be able to work unsupervised (if under 18).
- Have a friendly nature and excellent communications skills.
- Administer and distribute all company communications to the team quickly and effectively, in line with company policies.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Remain calm, when working in a high-pressure environment.
- Adhere to Wetherspoon’s appearance standards.
- Receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life
Motivate and support the team to achieve the company’s mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable.’
- Deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA).
- Always be, and encourage others to be, welcoming to your guests – interact, say ‘hello’; just as important, say ‘thank you’ and ‘goodbye’.
- Fulfil any reasonable requests from guests to ensure their satisfaction. Respond to all enquiries (e-mail, telephone, in person) in a professional and courteous manner. Encourage guest loyalty by consistent good performance.
- Respond to any guests’ feedback in a positive and helpful manner, seeking support, if required. Feed back all complaints to the management team.
- Be aware of, and knowledgeable about, all promotions, events and pricing in your hotel, in order to maximise bedroom sales opportunities. Propose and implement effective marketing strategies to maximise occupancy levels. Ensure that correct POS/marketing materials are on display.
- Maintain office administration in line with company policies and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), including full, correct and proper use of all duty manager’s log books, guest and employee contact details, CCTV, keys, safe, storage of paperwork, blue-bag requirements and all other logs.
- Carry out administrative tasks, as required:
- Reservations, cancellations and no-shows.
- Manage check-ins, check-outs and aftercare.
- Provide reports, as necessary (eg for housekeeping or management tasks).
- Manage and maintain effective and efficient use of reception equipment and hotel systems.
- Control and manage all new credit applications, sales ledger management and payment administration.
- Conduct regular security checks, including fire safety checks, throughout your shift, reporting any issues to your line manager.
- Provide immediate report of any safety hazards, accidents or incidents.
- Report, monitor and oversee maintenance issues relevant to your area, liaising with contractors (eg maintenance/linen) to ensure that works are completed.
- Be responsible for evacuation, in case of emergency, liaising with the team, guests and the emergency services.
- Check that all bedrooms/conference rooms and all other associated areas within your responsibility are cleaned and maintained within guidelines. Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting our Clean As You Go (CAYG) philosophy.
- Ensure that all laundry is stored correctly and the relevant documentation completed.
- Be accountable for all relevant product delivery and stock management (laundry, cleaning materials and bedroom supplies), including setting stock levels, checking, counting, storage, reconciliation and loss investigation.
- Assist in achieving all people-related targets in the hotel.
- Development and management of rotas (to include housekeeping, reception and night shift leaders). Manage and maintain correct staffing levels, in line with targets and business levels.
- Record and manage lateness and absence by completing return-to-work interviews, in line with the guidance detailed in the people management guide.
- Take responsibility for extra management tasks, as required, in the hotel manager’s absence.
- Carry out any reasonable task, as requested, by the management team or Wethercentre, to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development
- Complete the hotel team leader programme, including ongoing associated online training, within the stated time frames.
- Attend and actively participate in regular team meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share amazing ideas for improvements in your hotel and across the company.
- Work as a buddy to support and train associates.
- Embrace change within your hotel and across Wetherspoon.
- Strive to achieve everything you can on the Wetherspoon action plan.
If you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge which you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your manager about the opportunities available to you; these may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- Cross-training into a different role (bar/kitchen)
- Catering academy
- Team leader training programme
- Shift leader academy
- Management academy
- People management academy
- Pub manager academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Search for jobs
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.