Hotel team leader
Reporting to: Hotel manager/management team
To support, lead and motivate the team of associates to meet sales, profit and compliance targets by achieving the following on a day-to-day basis;
- excellent customer service
- welcoming guests into the hotel and fulfilling any reasonable requests to ensure their satisfaction, comfort and safety
- adhering to all of Wetherspoon’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Be aged 18 years or over.
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Have completed the associate training programme.
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your colleagues, your pub and Wetherspoon.
- Have the ability to manage time and prioritise tasks, to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Have a friendly nature and good communications skills.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Remain calm when working in a fast-paced environment.
- Adhere to Wetherspoon’s appearance standards.
- Receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life:
To oversee and guide the hotel operation, leading by example, demonstrating how to complete tasks, motivating and coaching associates to:
- work as a team to achieve the company mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable’.
- deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA).
- be welcoming to customers – interact, say hello, thank you and goodbye.
- fulfil any reasonable requests from guests to ensure their satisfaction. Respond to all enquiries (e-mail, telephone, in person) in a professional and courteous manner. Encourage customer loyalty by consistent good performance.
- respond to customers’ feedback in a positive and helpful manner, seeking support, if required. Feed back any complaints to the management team.
- be aware of, and knowledgeable about, promotions, events and new products in the pub and hotel to maximise sales opportunities. Share your knowledge with the team to ensure that all associates are kept up to date.
- propose and implement effective marketing strategies to maximise occupancy levels. Ensure that the correct point-of-sale (POS) is on display.
- carry out administrative tasks as required, which may include:
- reservations, cancellations and no-shows.
- managing check-ins, check-outs and aftercare.
- providing reports as necessary (eg for housekeeping or management tasks).
- managing and maintaining effective and efficient use of reception equipment and hotel systems.
- conduct regular security checks, including fire safety checks, and report any issues to your line manager.
- provide immediate report of any safety hazards, accidents or incidents.
- report, monitor and oversee maintenance issues relevant to your area, liaising with contractors (eg maintenance/linen) to ensure that works are completed.
- be responsible for evacuation, in case of emergency, liaising with the team, guests and the emergency services.
- take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting a clean-as-you-go (CAYG) philosophy. Check that all bedrooms/conference rooms and all other associated areas under your responsibility are cleaned and maintained within guidelines.
- ensure that all laundry is stored correctly and the relevant documentation is completed.
- be accountable for all relevant product delivery and stock management (laundry, cleaning materials and bedroom supplies), including setting stock levels, checking, counting, storage, reconciliation and loss investigation.
- take responsibility for management tasks, as required, in the hotel manager’s absence.
- make the working environment safe, legal and comfortable, by adhering to and enforcing:
- standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- age verification policy (including Challenge 21/25).
- prevention of drunkenness and disorderly behaviour policy (Don’t do Drunk).
- cash control policy and associated cash-handling procedures.
- stock management procedures.
- all aspects of licensing law, trading standards and customs and excise regulations.
- food safety and health and safety policies.
- equal opportunities – equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) policy, including antiharassment policies.
- carry out any reasonable task as requested by the management team to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development:
- Complete the team leader training programme, including ongoing associated online training, within the stated time frames.
- Attend and participate in regular team meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share ideas for improvements in the pub and company.
- Work as a buddy to support and train new associates.
- Support the achievement of the Wetherspoon action plan.
As a team leader, you are not expected you to supervise the team in the absence of a manager or perform any management tasks; however, if you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your manager about the opportunities available, which may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- cross-training into a different role (bar/kitchen)
- shift leader academy
- management academy
- advanced management academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.