Reporting to: Pub manager/area manager
Your role: at a glance
To take full responsibility for all aspects of managing your kitchen. To support, lead and motivate the team, in a safe and happy environment, to meet sales, profit and compliance targets.
- To provide excellent customer service.
- To serve all food to the correct specification.
- To adhere to all Wetherspoon standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace.
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities.
- Be able to prioritise tasks and have good organisational skills to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Delegate areas of responsibility to the team. Provide regular feedback to the person completing the task (identifying any areas for improvement, if necessary).
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your colleagues, your pub and to Wetherspoon.
- Have exceptional time management skills.
- Have a strong work ethic and be self-motivated.
- Have a friendly nature and excellent communications skills.
- Administer and distribute all company communications to the team quickly and effectively, in line with company policies.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Remain calm, when working in a high-pressure environment.
- Adhere to and enforce kitchen uniform standards.
- Seek and receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life
Manage, motivate and support the team to achieve the company’s mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable.’
- Manage the team to deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA).
- Take full responsibility for CQSMA and call note results, identifying any training needs and managing those results which fall below expectations.
- Take full responsibility to ensure that kitchen opening and closing procedures are adhered to in line with company policy. Ensure that the kitchen is set up correctly each morning and throughout the day and always ready for service.
- Manage the team to ensure that all food is prepared, cooked, served and presented in accordance with company standards.
- Manage the team to achieve the food-delivery-time targets at all times.
- Be aware of, and knowledgeable about, all promotions and events, such as new menu launches. Share your knowledge with team members to ensure that they have the latest information. Ensure that all training materials and kitchen documents are up to date and displayed correctly.
- Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting our Clean As You Go (CAYG) philosophy. Ensure that, throughout the day, the kitchen is cleaned and maintained in accordance with guidelines. Ensure that the team actions, in a timely manner, any points raised on kitchen checks.
- Respond to any customer feedback in a positive and helpful manner. Review all customer feedback with the team. Identify and action any training needs.
- Maintain office administration in line with company policies and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), including full, correct and proper use of all duty manager’s log books, storage of paperwork, keys, CCTV, safe, blue-bag requirements and all other logs.
- Have good knowledge and use of business systems, including kitchen screen reporting systems, property management systems and personnel systems.
- Ensure that all accidents, incidents and serious food complaints are recorded in line with company procedures.
- Take full responsibility for achieving all financial targets set internally or by the company for the kitchen (and, in turn, the pub). Work with the pub manager to:
- forecast food sales and all associated costs (eg hours).
- review and manage all aspects of the P&L (eg sales, hours, costs).
- maximise all sales opportunities, complete the annual company sales plan for your kitchen, get the team involved, use as a working document and strive to achieve all results.
- Know your competitors and their current pricing/activities.
- Know your customer base (local businesses, students, shoppers).
- Take full responsibility for all stock results in the kitchen:
- Manage the kitchen to ensure that portion sizes and dish specifications are adhered to at all times.
- Maintain appropriate order levels and receive deliveries in line with company policy, ensuring full product availability at all times. Investigate and report any anomalies, as required.
- Ensure that daily line checks are completed and all wastage recorded.
- Oversee the completion of manager’s own stock (MOS), analyse and communicate results, introduce and manage any actions required for improvement (eg additional grab tests to control portion size).
- Create a people focused culture in your kitchen and take full responsibility to achieve all targets set out in the people audit:
- Manage and maintain all aspects of the associate promise.
- Identify recruitment needs, search and selection activities and the appointment of staff, in line with the company’s recruitment process. Ensure that all paperwork (including proof-of-right-to-work documentation) is certified, copied and filed, in line with UK Home Office or Irish National Immigration Service (depending where your pub is based) and company policies.
- Oversee any inductions, ongoing staff training and all e-learning. Ensure that all training is completed to the required standard and within the set time frames.
- Hold regular review meetings with the team and set agreed actions for improvement/development/progression to support a strong succession plan in the kitchen/pub.
- Manage all formal meetings in the kitchen (eg long-term sick meetings/disciplinaries). Respond promptly and appropriately to any staff concerns or grievances.
- Effectively and proactively manage the daily performance and attendance of the team, in line with company policies, using performance management tools as detailed in the people management guide.
- Manage accurate rota development, in line with sales and hours forecasts. Ensure that all rotas are issued in advance, in line with the associate promise. Be reactive with hours, in line with weekly sales.
- Monitor and manage all maintenance issues and manage maintenance contractors.
- Take part in weekly blue-bag meetings and monthly business review meetings with your area manager, agreeing on/actioning all targets set.
- Carry out any reasonable task as requested by the pub manager, area manager or Wethercentre, to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development
- Host and participate in regular kitchen meetings, team meetings, manager meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share amazing ideas for improvements in your kitchen, pub and across the company.
- Embrace change in your kitchen, pub and Wetherspoon.
- Strive to achieve everything you can in the Wetherspoon action plan.
If you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge which you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your area manager about the opportunities available to you; these may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- Diploma and degree apprenticeship
- People management academy
- Pub manager academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.