Reporting to: Management team/hotel manager
Your role: at a glance
To deliver friendly efficient customer service and to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests, with the key aim of retaining guests and attracting new ones!
- To provide excellent customer service.
- To welcome guests to the hotel and fulfil any reasonable requests to ensure their satisfaction.
- To adhere to all Wetherspoon standard operating procedures (SOPs) and company policies, to maintain a clean, safe and legal workplace.
All of the training which we provide will teach you everything you need to know to succeed, but there are a few essential requirements you’ll need to start:
- Have a proof of right to work in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Have a bank account in your own name in the place where you will be based (UK or ROI).
- Be able to converse in English and to understand the language to complete training and other duties associated with your job role.
- Have a fixed place of residence within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in your role and show commitment to your hotel and to Wetherspoon.
- Have a strong work ethic and be self-motivated.
- Be able to work unsupervised (if under 18) and to remain calm when working in a high-pressure environment.
- Have a friendly nature and excellent communications skills.
- Have exceptional time management skills and be able to prioritise tasks, with good organisational skills to ensure that each shift runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Adhere to Wetherspoon’s appearance standards.
- Receive regular feedback from the management team and achieve any actions agreed on.
A day in the life
- Work as a team throughout the business to achieve the company’s mission statement: ‘To have by far the best CQSMA standards in the pub world, to be the best company to work for and, by doing these things, to be the most profitable.’
- Deliver consistently high standards of cleanliness, quality, service, maintenance and atmosphere (CQSMA).
- Always be welcoming to your guests – interact, say ‘hello’; just as important, say ‘thank you’ and ‘goodbye’.
- Fulfil any reasonable requests from guests to ensure their satisfaction. Encourage guest loyalty by consistent good performance.
- Respond to any guest feedback in a positive and helpful manner, seeking support, if required. Feed back all complaints to the management team.
- Be aware of, and knowledgeable about, all promotions, events and pricing in your hotel, in order to provide information to guests and to maximise bedroom sales opportunities.
- Respond to all enquiries in a professional and courteous manner, in person, by e-mail or on the telephone.
- Maintain office administration in line with company policies and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), including full, correct and proper use of all duty manager’s log books, guest and employee contact details, CCTV, keys, safe, storage of paperwork and all other logs.
- Carry out administrative tasks:
- Reservations, cancellations and no-shows.
- Manage check-ins, check-outs and aftercare.
- Provide reports as necessary (eg for housekeeping or management tasks).
- Check that all bedrooms/conference rooms and all other associated areas within your responsibility are cleaned and maintained within guidelines. Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness by adopting our Clean As You Go (CAYG) philosophy.
- Conduct regular security checks, including fire safety checks, throughout your shift, reporting any issues to your line manager.
- Provide an immediate report of any safety hazards, accidents, incidents or maintenance issues.
- Be responsible for evacuation, in the case of emergency, liaising with guests and the emergency services.
- Carry out any reasonable task, as requested by the management team or Wethercentre, to meet the needs of the business.
Training and development
- Complete the hotel receptionist training programme, including ongoing associated online training, within the stated time frames.
- Attend and actively participate in regular team meetings and training sessions.
- Generate and share amazing ideas for improvements in your hotel and across the company.
- Work as a buddy to support and train new receptionists.
- Embrace change in your hotel and Wetherspoon. Strive to achieve everything you can on the Wetherspoon action plan.
As a hotel receptionist, you are not expected to manage, motivate or lead the team; however, if you would like to progress in Wetherspoon, our award-winning training programme offers you the skills and knowledge which you will need to proceed and succeed. Speak to your manager about the opportunities available to you; these may include:
- Wetherspoon apprenticeship academy
- Cross-training into a different role (bar/kitchen)
- Team leader training programme
- Shift leader academy
- Catering academy
- Management academy
- People management academy
- Pub manager academy
Learn new things, get recognised for your efforts and gain skills which will last for ever!
Make working for us work for you.
Flexible hours? Check. Free food at work? We got ya!
Discounts when not working? Yup. Free shares? Sure.
For all of these and plenty more benefits to suit you, apply to work for us today.